Friday, April 10, 2009

Being found, and misspellings

Adding email addresses
I hadn't thought about this aspect of LinkedIn before, probably because my name is easy to find. Randy Schrum's post; Be Found By Your Past “email” on Linkedin explains how it's important to include all the email addresses you can in your profile. Note that the addresses will have to be confirmed, so they need to be active and accessible.
The video he mentions didn't open for me, so here's the steps;
  1. Login and click on Account & Settings
  2. Under Personal Information, click on Email addresses
  3. Type in the email address, and click on Add email address. The address will show up in the list as unconfirmed. A confirmation email will have been sent to the email address.
  4. Log in to the email account, a message with the title; "Please confirm your email address" should be there. Note that you can go back to LinkedIn, select the email address and click on "Send Confirmation Message" again if needed.
  5. Click on the "click here" link in the message, and then on "Confirm" in a new window that should open. You may be asked to log in to LinkedIn again.
  6. That's it! There should be a "thankyou for confirming" notice on screen.
Adding common misspellings
My name may be uncommon, but it is commonly misspelled. To be sure people find me even if they misspell my name, I simply added a line like this to my summary;

Common misspellings; VanGameron VanGameran

Now when people search for me with a misspelling of my name, they still find me.

These tips are part of the passive aspect of connecting on LinkedIn; making sure that your profile has enough information for people to find you accurately.

No comments:

Post a Comment